Sometimes you see something in the store and that immediately makes you want to try it. I’ve never made lemon bars before, but I was feeling daring. The hubby wanted them as did I, so I decided to give it a shot. I found a recipe online and altered it ever so slightly. The only problem I found was that I wanted them to be thicker. I think next time I will use a smaller pan.
- Soft butter and flour for greasing and dusting the pan, unless you use spray
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, sifted
- 1 cup brown sugar, sifted
- 8 ounces melted butter
- 11/4 cups cocoa, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons flaked sea salt (save for the end)
- 14 ounces caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan or use spray.
- With a mixer, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan, set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the caramels and condensed milk over low heat until caramels are melted. Pour over brownie layer, making a pattern of gooey-yumminess.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Check for doneness with the tried-and-true toothpick method: a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean. Sprinkle with sea salt. Allow to cool.